Welcome to Southwell Flood Forum
- Are you affected/threatened by flooding in Southwell?
- Do you want to be kept informed of public meetings to discuss follow-up action – within local community and with agencies/authorities?
- Are you interested in helping to make Southwell and its residents more flood resilient?
- Are you interested in finding out more information about resources available for flood damage reparation and suggested action in the event of a possible recurrence?
“Flood Action Groups are a representative voice for their community and their aim is to work in partnership with the Agencies and Authorities whose work involves flood risk.
– the National Flood Forum (www.nationalfloodforum.org.uk)
Through these ‘grass-root’ groups, communities are able to;
- address their concerns over malfunctioning assets/and other issues
- be constantly in touch with what is intended for their community
- know procedures that are already in place regards routine maintenance
- have a voice as to the future flood risk of their community through consultation.
- Instigate ‘flood watchers’
- Create awareness of flood risk to the wider community
- Prepare to reduce the impact on the community should a flood event occur”
The extensive flooding on Tuesday 23rd July 2013 highlighted the need for a Southwell Flood Forum.
Plans for a Southwell Flood Forum were underway and was effectively launched on 6th August 2013 following a follow-up programme on BBC East Midlands Today news.
Met office – Weather forecast – includes the facility to ‘Report Severe Weather’ feature from your location
Also see other weather websites in Resources
Our Community Resilience Handbook – launched on May 15th and delivered to every household in Southwell, received £2,000 from the Postcode Community Trust towards the costs of the production, distribution of this resource, plus some items of equipment for Flood Wardens.