Role of Street Reps
Street Reps will be a key strength in supporting our Community Resilience campaign to help prepare ourselves and our neighbours for an emergency in our immediate vicinity.
We’re aiming to recruit people across the whole of town so that about a group of 3 or 4 Street Reps will oversee a ‘huddle’ of about 20 houses or less.
Street Reps will work closely with the Flood Wardens/Road Closure Wardens (who may also be Street Reps) and will be supported with the necessary information and resources.
It is important to differentiate that you would be in a Street Rep role even though you may be a trained Flood or Road Closure Warden. You are not yet ‘active’ or insured in these latter roles and will only act as an Flood or Road Closure Warden when the pre-determined triggers are met. We will be issuing Guidelines to clarify those roles.
Your roles as a Street Rep
In advance of any incident
- registering to receive flood alerts and weather warnings which can be an important way to trigger a personal flood plan and start your activities as a community volunteer.
- knowing who are the vulnerable people and buildings in your street (or the area you are allocated)
- being aware of vulnerable places in the allocated area which may impact on the risk of flooding and reporting (and encouraging your neighbours to report) any blockages, debris etc.
- helping and encouraging people to prepare their own Personal Emergency Plan and obtain appropriate Property Level Protection
When severe weather is forecast
- communicate with your neighbours and other Street Reps to discuss the possible impact of the weather
- examine the vulnerable places that might aggravate flooding
- continue to monitor the effect of the weather, including during the night.
- if you consider that people need to start preparing for an incident, you should contact the rest of the people in the cluster and suggest they put their Personal Emergency Plan into action
If you are interested in becoming a Street Rep please contact either:
James Parker: 07515 442032
Jacky Huson: 01636 815739
Sign up: www.southwellfloodforum.org.uk/join